Disfiguring scar injuries from burns or other accidents never disappear entirely. Even after the pain goes away or the scar is corrected, if possible, by cosmetic surgery, the psychological pain of a disfiguring scar can last a lifetime.
I am personal injury trial lawyer Ira Maurer, of Fishkill, New York. If you have suffered scars or other disfiguring injuries in an accident caused by another person's negligence, you are entitled to seek damages for your medical costs, lost earnings and the pain and psychological effects of the disfigurement. I have won more than 1,000 settlements and verdicts, totaling many millions of dollars, on behalf of victims of negligence and their families, and I will seek full compensation for you.
Types of Scars
Most scars are caused by trauma to the skin, such as cuts, abrasions and punctures. Improper healing or infection can increase the size and pigmentation of a scar. Some of the more common types of scars and their effects include:
- Contracture scars — Caused by burns, including thermal burns, chemical burns and electrical burns. A contracture scar can tighten the skin and constrict mobility. It may be accompanied by deeper damage to underlying muscles and nerves.
- Keloid scars — Caused by improper healing, infection or other causes. Keloid scars typically manifest themselves in the form of raised flesh or bumps on the skin, extending beyond the edge of the wound area.
- Hypertrophic scars — Very similar in appearance and effects to keloid scars, but they do not extend beyond the edge of the wound area.
- Surgical scars — Caused by incisions to the skin. Unavoidable in most invasive surgical procedures, though in some cases they can be minimized.
- Skin cancer scars — Caused by diseases such as basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and Kaposi's Sarcoma.
Compensation and Medical Care for Accident Victims
Treatment options for scars include scar revision surgery and laser treatment. Some scars, such as keloid scars, can be minimized by injection with steroids, radiation therapy, cryotherapy or surgical removal. Severe scars may require multiple surgeries or treatments.
If your scarring was caused by the negligence of another party, you are entitled to claim compensation for your medical costs, lost income, pain and suffering and other losses. The Maurer Law Firm, PLLC, will work vigorously to obtain full and complete compensation for you.
For a free consultation to learn about your options, please call The Maurer Law Firm today at 845-896-5295 for service in the Fishkill and Poughkeepsie area.