FREE consultations by telephone or by internet video conferencing are now available.
Fishkill Injury Attorney Serving Wappingers Falls, Beacon, Lagrangeville and Nearby Areas of Hudson Valley
Posted: July 17, 2019
When you have been involved in a significant car accident, you are likely to be in shock and unable to think clearly. Yet, this is the time when you need to make good decisions. I highly recommend that people keep an accident checklist in their glove compartments to ensure that they take care of every thing that is important. The checklist should include:
1. Call the police immediately;
2. Avoid getting into arguments with the drivers of other vehicles involved in the accident;
3. If you are able, take pictures of the accident scene and vehicles involved in the accident;
4. Obtain the names, addresses and telephone numbers of any eyewitnesses to the accident;
5. Give the police an accurate description of what happened;
6. Tell the police you wish to be taken to the hospital if you are injured, and if you are not sure if you need to, go to the hospital;
7. Call your own insurance company to promptly report the accident, obtain a No-Fault claim number and request a No-Fault benefits application form;
8. Do not give a statement to the other driver’s insurance company;
9. Make a follow-up appointment to see a doctor as soon as possible;
10. Call Ira M. Maurer at The Maurer Law Firm, PLLC (845-896-5295) to schedule a FREE, in-depth consultation.