Immediately following a motor vehicle accident, you may experience a rush of fear, anxiety, and confusion about what you should do next. Unfortunately, drivers frequently make mistakes in the crucial moments after a wreck that can jeopardize their health, wellbeing, and ability to seek the maximum compensation to which they may be entitled under the law.
Over the course of his decades-long career, experienced Wappingers Falls accident lawyer Ira M. Maurer has successfully handled a wide range of traffic accident claims. He has the knowledge, skill, and resources you need to pursue the justice and compensation you deserve.
Avoiding these common mistakes after a wreck could make the difference between obtaining a settlement that allows you to afford the medical attention and rehabilitative care you need and one that doesn’t.
After you’ve been in a traffic accident:
- Do not flee the scene. Even if your accident seems harmless, New York law carries stiff penalties for fleeing the scene of an accident that involves injury to a person, property, or animal. If you flee the scene of an accident in which someone was seriously injured or killed, you could face felony charges. It’s best to stop and ensure the health and safety of everyone involved in the collision.
- Do not fail to contact the police and your insurance provider. In addition to promptly contacting law enforcement, call your own insurance company to report the accident and obtain a No-Fault claim number to request a No-Fault benefits application form.
- Do not admit fault. Even if you feel that you were partially responsible for a collision, never admit fault. In the chaos that accompanies a car or motorcycle crash, you may not be aware of all the factors that contributed to your accident. Keep your statements to the police and your insurer focused on the facts, and never give a statement of any kind to the other driver’s insurance company.
- Do not delay medical treatment. One of the most common errors to avoid after an accident is to underestimate your injury and fail to seek prompt medical attention. High levels of adrenaline after a wreck can mask soreness and pain. Many injuries may not cause immediate symptoms. Soft tissue damage and traumatic brain injuries are often unnoticeable immediately after an accident. If you suspect you may have been injured. Seek medical attention immediately.
- Do not handle your case alone. If you’ve been in a wreck, don’t make the mistake of trying to handle insurance negotiations and litigation proceedings on your own. Call accident attorney Ira Maurer right away to discuss your case for free and ensure your rights are protected.
Contact Our Wappingers Falls Accident Lawyer Today
If you’ve been hurt in a car wreck, call experienced Wappinger Falls accident lawyer Ira Maurer today at 845-253-1256 for a no-cost, no-obligation case evaluation. Mr. Maurer can help you seek compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.