Intoxicated drivers continue to cause injuries and death in accidents across the U.S. Our region of New York is no exception. From 2003 to 2012, 3,752 people were killed in crashes involving a drunk driver in New York, according to the CDC. Please learn more about the scope of the problem below. If you've been injured in an accident caused by a drunk driver, you may be able to pursue justice in a claim handled by experienced Fishkill attorney Ira Maurer.
Drunk Driving Statistics
Driving under the influence of alcohol is not uncommon in the U.S. Consider these stats:
- 10,874 fatalities caused by drunk driving in the U.S. in 2017 (NHTSA)
- 29 percent of all traffic fatalities in the U.S. in 2017 were caused by drunk driving (NHTSA)
- 220 children age 14 and younger were killed in DUI crashes in 2017 (NHTSA)
- 29 people are killed every day in the U.S. in crashes involving a drunk driver, which is one death every 50 minutes (CDC)
- The annual cost of alcohol-related accidents is over $44 billion (CDC)
Drunk or buzzed driving severely impacts the ability to drive. It leads to:
- Poor judgment
- Loss of coordination
- Poor reasoning
- Blurred vision
- Loss of consciousness
- Inattentiveness and lack of concentration
- Slowed reaction time
As all of these functions and abilities deteriorate, it is more difficult to maintain the correct speed and to stay in the lane. A drunk driver may be slow to brake in response to a hazard, stopped vehicle or red light. These are just a few of the ways a crash can occur.
Pursue Justice and Compensation
With the assistance of our experienced attorney, you can hold the drunk driver accountable. You should not have to deal with all of the consequences of your injury and car accident that were caused through no fault of your own. Unfortunately, you will be facing real losses and expenses, possibly for life. Mr. Maurer will tirelessly pursue compensation for each and every way you have been affected:
- Medical bills stemming from treatment and emergency care
- Loss of income caused by missed work
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Cost of in-home modifications, assistive equipment and in-home care
- Pain and suffering
Although we cannot guarantee an outcome in any case, we promise to advocate tirelessly on your behalf. Mr. Maurer is passionate about obtaining favorable case results for his clients. He has been winning these verdicts and settlements for his clients for more than four decades, and he knows the ins and outs of cases against drunk drivers in New York. Consult our law firm today to find out if you may have a case.
Call Now to Determine Your Options
Were you or a loved one injured by a drunk driver in Fishkill, Myers Corner, Beacon, Lagrangeville or any of the nearby areas of Hudson Valley? If so, you may be eligible to pursue compensation with the help of our experienced attorney, Ira M. Maurer. For a complimentary case review, please call our law firm at 845-896-5295.