Accidents involving commuter trains and subways are complex. If you were injured in a train accident, you need an attorney experienced in these types of cases to determine liability and fight for what is best for you. Poughkeepsie and Fishkill railroad accident attorney Ira Maurer has more than three decades of experience handling these claims. Please call us at (845) 896-5295 for a free case evaluation.
Accidents involving Trains and Public Transit
Mr. Maurer has extensive experience handling injury cases stemming from:
- Train platform accidents
- Stairway accidents
- Parking lot accidents
- Subway accidents
- Injuries onboard the train
These accidents can cause severe bodily injury. Harm to the brain, spinal cord and neck are not uncommon. On trains and the platforms around them, slip-and-fall accidents can account for many of the accidents that occur there. Collisions and other unexpected catastrophes can occur as well.
Mr. Maurer has experience representing cases involving some of the most powerful transportation entities in the country, including:
- Metropolitan Transportation Authority
- Long Island Railroad
- Metro-North Commuter Railroad
- New Jersey Transit Rail
- Port Authority of New York and New Jersey
Determining liability among multiple involved parties requires the skill of a lawyer who has represented these cases before.
What to do if you are injured in a Mass Transit Accident
After getting hurt on a train or in another mass transit location, you may not know what to do next. You probably do not know what your rights are and whether you can hold someone responsible for the incident that injured you. You should call our lawyer right away to find out what you should do next. Generally, when one of these types of accidents occur, the following should take place:
- When injured on a train, make sure the crew reports and documents your injury.
- Photograph the conditions and surroundings in which the accident that injured you took place.
- When you slip and fall on a train or platform, or in a parking lot, report your injury to local law enforcement or MTA police.
- Obtain immediate medical treatment. Document the injuries with photos and/or medical and police reports.
To bring a lawsuit against most of the railroads in New York, you must serve a formal Notice of Claim to the railroad or MTA within a limited timeframe. Consult with Mr. Maurer today to find out if you can still pursue damages.
If you or one of your family members has been injured in a train accident or another accident involving mass transit, please contact The Maurer Law Firm to schedule a free consultation with our experienced attorney Ira M. Maurer.